Sunday, July 16, 2006

Gladiators and spectators that almost were.

I really liked the shapey head this guy had going, but he was obviouslly too serious for the style. A bit too devil looking too.

This was by far my favorite spectator idea for the short. We eventually decided on a similar version that had three eyes, but I still like this one the best. I still think it would have been awesome to have a stadiium full of eyes.

This one was really close to being cool. The six eyes and long snout made me happy. Can't remember specifically why this guy wasn't chosen, but he was cut pretty early.

The group consensus was that this gladiatur was too gross to be in the short.

Before I went with the more eel-looking race, I had thought that they would be interesting if they had an earthwormish appearance. They would have looked cool with a nice paritally transparent eathworm texture. I still like this idea.

16 comments:

ljay said...

very cool concepts joe...love the crazy ideas you come up with! Thanks for sharing.

katzenjammer studios said...

Great designs! I like the spectator concept too. If you've ever been center stage, you know that character design rings true.

christian said...

Wow, man! Love the characters design, the six eyed guy is really cool!
Great blog, if you don't mind, i'll link it!

justinpatrickparpan said...

I love the design for the fellow weilding the sword. Reminds me of a dark crystal character or something. Nice work.

Ben Reynolds said...

these are super cool man!

Tyler (characters N' sketches) said...

ya so you had a ton!!! of amazing ideas!! i love the idea of the Giant eye monsters in the audience!! and the 3rd to last would have made a great character, you could do some great animation with him,, i guess theres got to be a limit to characters and well, eventually they'll be cut, awww well.

you should post some of your other ones!!!

El Fro said...

If you made plush dolls from these, I would buy them from you.

Mustashrik said...

love the one eyed character!

:)

S.T. Lewis said...

I always love seeing abandoned concepts! Put these sketches on the DVD. You should also see if Kelly will invest in a chimp to hang around the HFAC so it will seem more like PIXAR. Put that on the DVD too. These are great designs. Man, you're good!

GhettoFab said...

great shapes and lines in all of these! Love the expressions on the eathwormy guys

Kevin Keele said...

The six eyed guy with the big sword is my favorite, though they're all fantastic! I remain a big fan.

Alina Chau said...

These creatures are AWESOME!! Wicked cool!

Alexei Martins said...

These are AWESOME dude!!!!!!Your creatures RULES!!!

Tyler (characters N' sketches) said...

hey thanks for swinging by to check out my demo reel..
...ya we are off to comicon tomorrow...aww ya. woodward and a couple other peeps are going to be up there, its gonna be good!!!!!

later

Joe said...

Thanks for the comments. I am glad you like these abandoned concepts that no longer serve a purpose other than to take up space on my hard drive. I'll try and dig some more up that I'm not too embarrassed to post.

UrbanBarbarian said...

Joe, these are so good my head is swimming in a sea of blue pencil!